I was going to write a typical preview post for Kristen’s upcoming worship EP, but I thought it would be more enlightening if I simply listed the scriptures that inspired Kristen and I to write each of the three new songs on this EP, which we’re releasing Tuesday, April 24 here at My Song In The Night and at Noisetrade.com/kristengilles.
We’ll also include “My Song In The Night” on the EP. You can already hear that one in the player on your right. “My Song In The Night” will fit in with our new ones to tell a coherent story, from Creation to the New Creation. In fact, this upcoming Kristen Gilles EP (which features the Sojourn band, and will be FREE) is called The Whole, Big Story (a few more details here).
Our three new songs are “You Grew The Tree,” “Bold Before God’s Throne” and “Rising Tide.” Ask yourself if you’d be interested in hearing and singing new worship music that explores the themes and plot lines of these verses.
You Grew The Tree
- Genesis 1 — God created the heavens and earth, all forms of life, culminating in Adam and Eve.
- John 1:1-3 — Jesus was in the beginning with God, and was God. All things were made through Him.
- I Corinthians 8:6 — One Lord, Jesus, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.
- Colossians 1:16-17 — By Christ everything was created, and He holds it all together.
- Hebrews 1:2-3 — God created all things through Christ, who upholds the universe by the word of His power.
- Genesis 3 — The Fall and the judgment.
- Genesis 15:9-18 — God’s Covenant with Abraham. God bound Himself to offer restitution if either of them broke the covenant.
- Isaiah 53 — Prophecy of the Messiah being led like a lamb to the slaughter.
- Luke 9:21-22 — Jesus foretells his death to his disciples.
- Mark 11:12-14; 20-22 — Jesus curses the fig tree, and it withers.
- John 10:18 — Jesus says no one can take his life. He has the power to lay it down and take it up again.
- Galatians 3:13 — Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.
Bold Before God’s Throne:
- Exodus 25:31-35: God’s instructions for the veil to separate the Most Holy Place from the Holy Place.
- Leviticus 16 — Laborious instructions for the once-a-year Day of Atonement.
- Matthew 27:50-51 — The earth quaked and the veil was rent from top to bottom when Jesus was crucified.
- Hebrews 9:7-10:10 — Jesus’ sacrifice gains our entry into the Holy of Holies.
- Revelation 1:5-6 — Christ has made us a kingdom, priests.
- 1 Peter 2:7 — We are now a holy priesthood, able to offer acceptable spiritual sacrifices through Christ.
- Hebrews 4:14-16 — Because of Jesus our High Priest, we can boldly approach the throne of grace.
- 1 John 3:20 — When our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart.
Rising Tide (with guest vocalist Brooks Ritter):
- Matthew 3:2 “The kingdom is at hand …”
- Luke 10:18 — Satan falls like lightning from heaven.
- Genesis 3:15 — Satan’s head beneath Jesus feet.
- Colossians 2:13-15 — Christ canceled our sin debt by dying of the cross.
- I Corinthians 15:44 — Death, where is your sting?
- Acts 1:6-10 — The Ascension of Christ.
- Acts 2 — The Coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.
- Colossians 1:13: He has delivered us from darkness and transferred us to the Kingdom.
- Matthew 12:29, Mark 3:27, Luke 11:20-22 — Binding the strong man, plundering his house because “the Kingdom of God has come upon you.”
- Mark 4:30-34 — Parable of the Mustard Seed, the incredible, ongoing expansion of the Kingdom of God.
- Hebrews 12:18-24 — We have come to Mt. Zion, to the “… assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven,” and to the “spirits of the righteous made perfect …”
- Matthew 24:30-31 — Jesus coming on the clouds, angels sounding the trumpet to gather “the elect … from one end of heaven to the other.”
- 1 Thessalonians 4:14-16 — God will “bring with him those who have fallen asleep”
- Zechariah 14:4 — then the Lord will come “and all the holy ones with him.”
- Revelation 19:11-21 — Jesus on the White Horse, with his conquering army
- Revelation 21-22 — The New Heaven and Earth